Forester I/Forester II
Location: Parsons, WV
American Forest Management, Inc. (AFM) is the largest forest consulting firm in the United States. AFM currently manages over 5.7 million acres of privately owned timberland and has sold over $3.2 billion in real estate transactions under AFM Real Estate, a subsidiary of AFM. With 290+ employees operating from 52 offices located in 17 states, Panama and Costa Rica, AFM’s team of professionals is focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services. Our small regionally dispersed offices allow us to provide individualized services, and our large overall size allows us to coordinate teams of foresters and technical specialists for large, complex jobs.
AFM’s team of professionals is focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs in all aspects of forestry related fieldwork, office work, analysis, and reporting to supervisor, landowner/client.
• Design and implementation of timber harvesting plan programs to assure continuous production of timber or to assist clients to achieve other timber or wildlife habitat management objectives.
• Performs all aspects of timber sale development, including timber inventory, boundary establishment, preparing timber sale bid notices, marketing, and reviewing timber sale contracts. Ability to inventory the type, amount, and location of standing timber, appraise the timber’s worth, and negotiate and close purchase and sale agreements.
• Assists in managing all aspects of logging operations including final sale layout and boundary marking, harvest set up, harvest inspections, ensure compliance with the sale contract, the supervising merchandising of harvested timber into various forest products, and organize and audit timber sale settlements.
• Propose and implementation of timberland management silviculture activities specific to individual sites and client goals.
• Assists in planning, administration, and inspection of other forestry-related activities such as road construction and maintenance, timber marking, silviculture activities, surveys, tract inspections, boundary establishment, and other land management projects as assigned.
• Assists in budget development and administering AFM and Client budgets
• Identify and mark Streamside or Riparian Management Zones (SMZ’s or RPZ’s). Monitors Best Management Practices (BMP’s) and Environment Management Systems (EMS) Compliance to ensure third party SFI, FSC or Tree Farm Certification.
• Ability to use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to assist in managing lands.
• Able to plan, design and participates in forest inventory projects individually or with a team. Able to collect field data utilizing systematic sampling of merchantable and pre-merchantable timberland using both fixed radius plots, prism sampling methods and 100% tree count, work up cruise data, update stand records manually and electronically.
• Creates management plans that capture landowner objectives and offer solutions to achieve those goals.
• Prepares and negotiates contracts with independent third-party contractors for clients’ management services.
• Supervises third party contracted services, including certifying completion of work for payment.
• Meeting with landowner/client to review management activities, answer questions and make proposals regarding their timberland.
• If offered within the state of employment, has a current Registered Forester’s license or ability to become a Registered Forester within three years of employment, or its equivalent.
• Required travel and ability to function as a team member on large projects throughout the U.S.
• Working and applied knowledge of forestry skills including the use of tools used in timber cruising, photo interpretation, surveying, timber harvesting, tree identification, read maps, navigate in the woods, road construction, silviculture techniques, planning, organizing and other duties that pertain to forest management.
• Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Able to write reports, business correspondence, specifications, procedures and assist in drafting contracts. Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, regulators, and the general public.
• Ability to generate new business (meet with potential clients, explain our business, etc.)
• Ability to efficiently and effectively perform existing work.
• Familiarity with computer-generated spreadsheets and word processing.
• Preparation of weekly timesheet showing all time worked by project, bill method and task.
• Check recreational leases for possible violations.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry, or closely related field.
• Forester I: 0-5 years forestry related experience, or closely related field.
• Forester II: 5-10 years forestry related experience, or closely related field.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong listening capabilities with the ability to translate communications into appropriate course of action.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Paid holidays
• Paid vacation schedule
• Healthcare and disability plan
• 401(K) retirement plan
• Eligible for annual bonus plan
To apply, please go to: http://atsod.com/j/s.cfm/12A5
Back to Job Listings