Tree Inventory Intern (1-2 Summer Positions), City of Cambridge Department of Public Works (A540)
Location: Cambridge, MA
Salary: $16.63 per hour
The City of Cambridge DPW Department seeks qualified applicants to:
- Assist in updating an inventory of street trees in the City.
- Create and/or update the tree inventory for the Cambridge Common, Cambridge Cemetery, Cambridge Golf Course and various other locations throughout the City.
- Collect information on street trees including caliper, species and location.
- Record location of trees in the field using GIS software.
- Field survey on foot covering potentially +/- 5 miles a day
- Coordinate work through the DPW Forestry Unit and MIS
- Perform related tasks as needed
Minimum Requirements: Working knowledge in personal computer operation and experience in working with Windows programs such as Access, Excel and Word. Proficiency in GIS as well as an MCA, ISA and/or MCLP certification is a plus. Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture/Forestry/Plant Biology desired. Massachusetts Driver's License Class D preferable.
- Ability to identify common tree species
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read a map
- Good writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Walk up to several miles a day. Employee will be exposed to all weather conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
$16.63/hour, 30 hours per week, 8-10 weeks Summer temporary position
Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 3/31/20, Position will remain open until filled. We are am AA/EEO Employer.
Back to Job Listings