Water-By-Bike Tree Ambassador Supervisor (summer position), City of Cambridge Department of Public Works (A551)
Location: Cambridge, MA
Salary: $20 per hour
Cambridge DPW seeks a qualified individual to supervise the Water-By-Bike Tree Ambassador program. The supervisor will work with a group of approximately 8 summer interns to lead and coordinate daily activities to support work objectives related to the Water-By-Bike summer program. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate watering routes with DPW staff for each team of interns and monitor progress throughout the day.
- Supervise Water-By-Bike interns and ensure professional presentation and behavior.
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs to bicycles and other equipment.
- Inspect, water, and maintain selected young trees throughout the City.
- Ride a bike with a trailer attached loaded with equipment and connect equipment to fire hydrants to water trees and fill ‘Gator Bags’ with water. Weed existing tree wells.
- Record watering progress with mapping program on tablet.
- Interact with residents and businesses and promote urban tree care and benefits.
- Responsibly represent the Cambridge Department of Public Works – Parks and Forestry Division
- Perform related tasks as needed.
- College coursework in urban forestry, environmental science, urban planning, or education preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
- Demonstrated experience in supervisory role and teambuilding.
- Enthusiasm and flexibility; ability to “think on one’s feet” to revise and/or adapt to schedule changes.
- A demonstrated interest in environmental stewardship and ability to engage with the public on these issues.
- Familiarity with Cambridge preferred.
- Must be comfortable riding a bicycle in urban environment.
Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Exposure to all weather conditions. Work outside for extended periods of time. Ride a bike for several miles a day. Pre-employment Physical Examination may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
$20.00/hour30 hours/week, 10-12 weeks, typically May through August
Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 03/31/20. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
Back to Job Listings