Associate Director, Trees
Location: Philadelphia PA
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) plays an essential role in the vitality of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, increasing access to fresh food, growing economic opportunity, and building deeper social connections between people. PHS Healthy Neighborhoods team delivers this impact through comprehensive greening and engagement initiatives in more than 250 neighborhoods. Together with community partners, PHS carefully designs projects that build on neighborhood strengths and aspirations to use greening to improve the environment, health and quality of life in their communities. To increase a healthy, diverse and resilient tree canopy in southeastern Pennsylvania, PHS educates residents on tree care and facilitates volunteer tree planting and stewardship. PHS also connects partner organizations with funding and support needed to increase tree cover in riparian habitats across the region. The Associate Director, Trees is responsible for promoting and ensuring successful implementation of all operations of the PHS Trees team. This position leads the development and delivery of tree education, planting and stewardship activities in the City of Philadelphia and surrounding region. The Associate Director, Trees will effectively manage the team and provide strategic leadership to build on existing program strengths, streamline operations and increase impact. This position supports related fundraising efforts and initiatives to ensure compliance and alignment with funders’ expectations.
- Supervises the PHS Tree Tenders program in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties in southeastern Pennsylvania and improves on the existing model. These activities include community engagement and targeted outreach campaigns to promote the program and facilitate establishment of new community-based, tree planting and stewardship groups, as well as basic training courses, advanced training courses, continuing education sessions, and customized trainings. Works with team to execute program activities. Cultivates strong partnerships. Works with Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods and Tree Team to design and implement strategies to increase participation in priority communities.
- Supervises the planning, implementation, and evaluation of community tree plantings and riparian tree plantings. Leads partnering with other organizations to facilitate one-time tree planting activities. Oversees the solicitation of applications from Tree Tenders groups. Oversees the procurement of trees, supplies, permitting and removal of pavement for tree planting. Oversees the grant program to increase riparian tree plantings across the region. Assists with tree planting activities. Drives improvements to streamline processes and leverage resources.
- Supervises the planning, implementation, and evaluation of tree stewardship activities, including structural pruning, pit care, and collection of data related to the survival rate, growth, and health of trees planted through PHS programs utilizing community volunteers and/or contracted employees/interns. Assists with stewardship activities.
- Together with Tree Team, Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods, Tree Tenders and partners, defines clearly articulated goals and strategy for PHS’s role in increasing the region’s tree canopy. Leads change and process improvement strategies to drive team towards increased impact and goals.
- Hires, manages, and develops team, ensuring that team members set and achieve professional development goals, monitoring performance of all team members and taking disciplinary action as needed.
- Oversees project and grant budgets. Facilitates invoice processing. Works with Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods to prepare and manage annual budget. Responsible for budget performance. Monitors financial reports to ensure budget compliance.
- Works with team to compile quantitative and narrative reports of proposed and completed deliverables, including required grant reporting.
- Coordinates with staff and PHS Marketing and Communications team to develop and implement communications and engagement strategies as needed, and is the primary liaison with Marketing and Communications.
- Coordinates with team, the VP, Healthy Neighborhoods and PHS Development team to develop and implement fundraising strategies, including individual donor cultivation, crowd-sourced fundraising, and foundation and corporation funding. Ensures compliance with funders’ expectations.
Experience, Education, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or at least five years of equivalent work experience in a management position.
- ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) certification or willingness to achieve certification preferred
- Knowledge of arboriculture, particularly urban forestry.
- Technical knowledge of best practices in urban forestry, including expertise in regional tree species, tree health, and urban community forestry issues.
- Experience teaching adults and children in large and small groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, on budget, while adhering to deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct and manage a multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively across diverse organizations and disciplines, both internally and externally.
- Experience working with volunteers and organizing community service projects.
- Diplomatic with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the Philadelphia and surrounding counties and comfort traveling throughout the city and region.
- Proficient with basic computer software, including Microsoft Office.
- Strategic thinker.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines with a shifting workload in a fast-paced environment.
- High-level attention to detail.
- Excellent influential, collaborative, and relationship building skills.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean, safe driving record.
Back to Job Listings