Environmental Review Specialist Senior (Tree Reviewer)
Location: Austin, TX
The Environmental Review Specialist Senior (temporary, but with no required end date) position services the Expedited Building Plan Review team which consists of up to 5 plan reviewers, each representing different review disciplines. The team of reviewers will perform their discipline’s review in a “live” meeting setting with the entire review team, the applicant and design professionals. The goal is to facilitate reduced plan review turnaround times and to expedite the issuance of building permits by making decisions in a collaborative, faster and thorough manner.
This position is responsible for administering the tree preservation and replenishment regulations on behalf of the City Arborist by reviewing and analyzing construction plans and processing permit applications related to single-family developments. This position is also expected to review and comment on tree ordinances and regulations, perform field work, attend residential Preliminary Plan Review meetings and assist internal employees and the public with the integration of regulations, processes and procedures.
Knowledge of arboriculture, construction and local land development regulations is needed for this position. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are also needed for this position to successfully perform daily interactions with the public, construction professionals, stakeholders, and internal employees.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Reviews and analyzes plans/specifications by applying knowledge of general construction practices and methods, erosion/sedimentation control methods and strategies, water quality and drainage theory, and arboricultural practices.
- Reviews land development projects for compliance with water quality, tree protection and landscape regulations.
- Coordinates meetings with contractors, engineers, owners, etc. to resolve issues of conflict and to assist in ensuring compliance of development projects with environmental regulations.
- Reviews and interprets policies, codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Performs analysis of the adequacy of storm water controls with technical criteria.
- Reviews engineering and environmental reports for accuracy and compliance with water quality regulations.
- Develops and implements code/rule changes.
- Provides testimony for enforcement cases.
- Provides technical assistance and education to City staff, City Management, citizens, community/special interest groups, developers, etc. on environmental/engineering code requirements, ordinances and regulations.
- Prepares and presents variances and revisions to City Code, Criteria, and Policies to Boards, Commission, and Council.
- Assist in the resolution of interdepartmental and interagency conflicts and the development and implementation of interagency protocol and procedures.
- Assist in the development of short and long range policies and initiatives.
Back to Job Listings