Municipal Arborist Specialist - Work Manager
Location: Charlotte, NC
Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, storm water services, and other support services. The Department guides City departments through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions.
Municipal Arborist Specialist - Work Manager
The Municipal Arborist Specialist - Work Manager (MASWM) receives all work orders created by inspectors and schedules the work by dispatching to City crews or contractors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide contractor and/or City crews oversight for daily / seasonal / annual tasks
- Manage equipment & tool inventory / recommend / purchase equipment
- Work with citizens / contractors / other stakeholders to address concerns & resolve complaints
- Plan / organize / direct / supervise work of several tree maintenance contract crews ensuring all work is completed according to contract specifications
- Assist with management of Fall Cankerworm Program
- Update tree inventory pertaining to contractor & City work
- Provide technical & administrative direction / support for Tree Management section
- Use CityWorks work management software / Microsoft Office programs / Charlotte Explorer GIS tool / MUNIS accounting software program
- Assign work / coach / provide corrective discipline
- Develop oral & written instructions including schedules & maps supporting operations
- Ensure safe / proper / effective / efficient equipment operation / traffic control / emergency response
- Track performance / prepare informational & analytical reports / spreadsheets / implement changes in practices
- Participate in on call emergency program as on call supervisor
- Assist with large scale storm response & emergency response as needed
- Perform other assigned arborist tasks
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- ISA Certified Arborist certification & Tree Risk Assessment Qualification or ability to obtain both within six months of hire
- Thorough knowledge of plants / trees / shrubs indigenous to NC & southeastern US
- Experience in tree selection / soils analysis / tree care operations & equipment / tree risk assessment
- Experience & knowledge working with ANSI 300 standards related to tree management
- Knowledge of products & methods relating to arboriculture / horticulture / related fields
- Knowledgeable in all phases of tree planting / tree identification / insect / disease problem solving
- Knowledge of basic designs / principles for planting within roadways & urban environments
- Ability to read & interpret construction / landscape plans & perform related tasks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word / Excel / Outlook
- Excellent verbal & written customer service skills
- Ability to work varying schedule with all seasons including occasional on-call / night / weekend work
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to work & manage multiple programs / projects
- Ability to plan / prioritize / organize work / complete assignments with minimal supervision
- Budget management experience
- Detail oriented
- Walking / bending / minor climbing & lifting / stooping / grasping / squatting
- Bachelor's degree in Arboriculture / Forestry / related field
- Three years of supervisory experience in related field
- Local government experience
- Five years of arboricultural experience
- Certification as ISA Certified Arborist & Tree Risk Assessment Qualification
- Experience with ArcGIS
- High School diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an Associate's degree with one year of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
- Commensurate with Experience
- The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees. Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits
- The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace
How to Apply:
If you need assistance completing your online application, you are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available.
Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays. Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
Conditions of Employment: The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to Job Listings