LANDSCAPE CREW MEMBERS
Location: Newport News, VA
James River Grounds Management, an Aspen Grove Company, offers the full package of landscape-related services. With the resources to combine landscape design/installation and the accompanying maintenance services, we offer you greater flexibility and cohesiveness at a more cost-effective price than if you were dealing with individual contractors. Our core offering is to effectively manage the full landscape program so that property managers can rest easier knowing that one of their most expensive assets is being managed properly. We understand that our clients have limited time for site visits and coordination of contractors. Through pro-active communication, attention to detail and customer centered focus, we achieve an effective and meaningful partnership with our clients.
Position Description- Crewman II
Crew Member II, is responsible for planning and executing small scale landscape maintenance operations on assigned properties. This position will support the crew to deliver a quality job on time. Crew Member II, Maintenance is a category designated for individuals who have mastered skills in all equipment and tasks associated with routine landscape maintenance and have demonstrated the ability to work safely and efficiently as a productive member of the team. They will report to the Crew Leader or Operations Manager.
- Dependable; consistently arrives to work on time, responds to management direction and commits to the required hours for job completion that will vary based on weather/season.
- Performs all job-related tasks safely and efficiently and uses all tools and equipment in accordance with company safety policy.
- Safely operates and maintains hand and power tools to perform a wide range of landscape and irrigation duties, which may include weed eater, stick edger, backpack blower, push mower, wheel barrow, hand tools, walk behind mowers, ride on mowers, power shears, pruners, ladders, bed edger and walk behind aerator.
- Performs assigned landscape maintenance requirements inclusive of: pre-prep and laying of sod, mowing, edging, trimming, watering, fertilizing, detailing ornamental plant material, weed-eating, spraying or pulling weeds, clearing of hard surfaces, applying mulch.
- Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damaged leaves, branches, or twigs.
- Able to determine wanted and unwanted vegetation.
- Prepares and grades terrain.
- Installs and/or moves and transplants trees, shrubs, and other plant material on current maintenance and enhancement jobs and properties.
- Follows installation instructions and plans with the Crew Leader and Operations Manager.
- Assists in loading and unloading equipment, tools, and supplies on truck.
- Complies with the equipment preventative maintenance program and thoroughly cleans used equipment and stores in designated areas daily.
- Assists in keeping job site, vehicles, trailers, warehouses and offices safe, clean and organized.
- Informs supervisor of problem areas on site, equipment or supply issues, or of any accident or loss.
- Complies with all company policies, procedures and safety requirements, especially in the handling of equipment.
- Works to assure quality and timely completion of all tasks assigned.
- Participates in training programs as required.
- *May be required to safely transport Crew Member’s to and from site in a company vehicle.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education & Experience Qualifications:
- 1+ years of experience in mowing, pruning and landscape basics.
- High school diploma or GED preferred but not required.
Skills & Abilities Qualifications:
- Organized, hardworking, safety conscious, punctual, leads by example, self-motivated, honest, and customer service-driven.
- Effectively communicates with others, with the ability to read and/or comprehend written and verbal instructions/information. Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
- Accountable; demonstrates dependability in attendance and timeliness, and carefully follows directions and instructions provided.
- Is solution-oriented with the ability to apply feedback to improve performance.
- Able to safely work alone and display quality and thoroughness in work product.
- Team-focused; exhibits objectivity and openness to others, mitigates conflict and keeps emotions under control.
- Maintains a positive, responsive and flexible attitude.
- Ability to teach and train new laborers.
- Able to follow plans as shown on a map of property.
- Maintains attention and concentration during dangerous tasks and while using equipment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to interact professionally with all customers, team members, and those from external organizations.
- Must be able to wear PPE as necessary and maintain a professional appearance at all times while abiding by the uniform code.
- Must have transportation to and from the show up location.
- *State driver’s license with a reasonably clean MVR is encouraged. May be required if needed.
- Works outside in various weather conditions that may be hot, cold, wet or turbulent.
- Works in environments with unusually loud noise level.
- Works with and near moving mechanical parts.
- May be exposed to hazardous material, fumes or airborne particles such as gasoline, oil, grease and elements such as herbicide, pesticide or other horticulture-related products.
- Works on uneven terrain for extended periods of time.
- Work may be performed at varying heights above ground.
- May be exposed to nature, i.e. irritating plants and biting or stinging insects.
- May be exposed to dogs and other animals.
- Must have endurance necessary to perform these duties throughout a standard eight- or ten-hour day. Must be able to work long hours and overtime during emergencies (including holidays, weekends, etc. Subject to call out work).
- Must have the ability and endurance to perform tasks for at least 8-hour periods.
- Must understand and demonstrate proper safety procedures, abiding by all OSHA regulations, with the ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to wear PPE as necessary.
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
>>>>>Apply today: http://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/401361?
Rarely = less than 10%
Occasionally = up to 33%
Frequently = up to 66%
Continuously = 67% to 100%
Rarely: Crawling, climbing poles, climbing ladders.
Occasionally: Sitting, seeing distant, climbing stairs, lifting over 10lbs to 50lbs.
Frequently: Sense of touch, speaking clearly, climbing on/off truck, reading, hearing – speech range, depth perception, pushing, pulling, balancing, lifting up to 50lbs.
Continuously: Walking, standing, manual dexterity, stooping, range of motion, kneeling, squatting, body twisting, gripping, seeing, reaching, color vision, lifting, carrying, lifting up to 10lbs.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.
Newport News , Virginia 23601
Back to Job Listings