Steven D Traylor
Location: City of Norfolk, Virginia
Salary: $52,020.00 - $86,041.00 Annually
The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space, Parks & Urban Forestry Division is currently seeking an experienced and knowledgeable Forestry Supervisor. The Forestry Supervisor performs tree risk assessments on public trees, manages the activities and scheduling of several urban forestry work crews engaged in pruning, removal, stump grinding, fertilizing, and treating trees for diseases on city property. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for investigating citizen service requests and assessing the maintenance needs of trees.
Recreation, Parks & Open Space tree crews are responsible for the management of approximately 200,000 trees throughout the city; 80,000 of which are considered street trees (trees that line the city's streets, between the road and sidewalk). Noting the abundance of trees throughout Norfolk, the rating scale below is utilized to provide Norfolk residents with the best possible service and a clear understanding of how tree trimming, removal, and replacement is prioritized. The main priority of the city's tree management is public safety, therefore those trees posing an immediate safety concern are prioritized first.
- Essential Functions
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Manages urban forestry operations by assigning multiple tree crews and equipment to specific jobs, overseeing work performed, establishing goals and objectives, directing emergency field operations, and training employees and implementing safety programs.
- Assesses the maintenance needs of trees and ensures their protection by completing tree condition assessments, determining the appropriate pesticide application or other treatment, and monitoring the compliance of tree work permits and contractual work with city policies.
- Responds to emergencies involving fallen trees and broken limbs, service requests and complaints by investigating problems, assessing work conditions, coordinating and assigning responsibilities to various crews and equipment, and conveying inspection results and tree work policies to the public.
- Maintains forestry equipment by ensuring its repair and instructing employees proper use of equipment.
- The Forestry Supervisor is a leadership position requiring the ability to communicate effectively to the public and staff, lead others, and efficiently manage workload during routine and stressful environments such as storm response and cleanup.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two year associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Three (3) years of experience to include direct supervisory experience and experience in professional tree care.
The preferred candidate will posses the following:
- An Associate's Degree or higher
- A valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator (required within six (6) months of hire)
- Certified Arborist (required within six (6) months of hire)
- CPR/First Aid Certification (required within six (6) months of hire)
- Additional Information & Requirements
Work Hours: Forestry Division is currently on an alternate work schedule; 4 day work week at 40 hours per week. Work hours may change seasonally.
Work Location: Parks & Urban Forestry, 2839 Dana Street, Norfolk, VA 23509.
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application. Your responses to the supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the information you provide in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship, or any other classes recognized by state or local law or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
- City of Norfolk
Back to Job Listings